[hsflinux] Problem using cnxtinstall.run with Debian Linux For Conexant HSF 56K Data/Fax Modem

Chris Vine chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 05:53:12 EDT 2011

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:53:38 -0400
"P. C. Chan" <p_c_chan at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> HSF support has been lacking behind quite a bit.  I am currently
> running 3.0.1 kernel.  The last time I was able to compile with some
> hacking was probably a year ago.  :)  Would there be any plan to
> catch up? If I need to use my HSF modem, I have to boot the system up
> using an older kernel, like 2.6.32 or something. Regards,P. C.Date:
> Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:43:13 -0400 From: Jhart at customstaffing.com To:
> hsflinux at lists.linuxant.com Subject: [hsflinux] Problem using
> cnxtinstall.run with Debian Linux For	Conexant HSF 56K
> Data/Fax Modem

Since no one is bothering to deal with this mailing list any more, and
the driver no longer works with the kernels of the current version of
most mainline distributions, I presume it is now effectively defunct.
It really shows the dangers of relying on proprietary code in linux
systems.

I have a patch which I use to compile the hsf driver with the latest
kernels, which I attach (I don't know if the mailing list will strip it
off, it might).  I do not guarantee it, because none of us see the
proprietary code which it interfaces with.  In particular, the file
osservices.c uses the global kernel lock for a purpose which is not
obvious to me.  I have replaced it with a local lock which may well
either not meet the original purpose of using the global lock or may
now be completely unnecessary.

Chris