[hsflinux] Chris Vine Patch for Compiling hsfmodem Under Recent Kernel Versions

Bill Wayson bwayson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 14:14:19 EDT 2012

Hello,
     I recently looked for this patch on the Internet and could not
find it.  Since it is invaluable to anyone trying to use the hsfmodem
driver under current versions of the Linux kernel, I am sending it to
you in the hope of making it easier to find by hsfmodem users.
     One heads-up that _may_ come up in Ubuntu 12.10.  I have just
tried to compile hsfmodem under openSUSE 12.2 and its default kernel
3.4.6-2.10 (after making the edits mentioned in the attached patch),
and a new error is generated.  Essentially, there is no longer an
"asm/system.h" file to include, and the compile bombs when it reaches
that point (exactly where, I do not remember, but the error will be
near the end of the log file).  One suggestion on the Internet (to
solve a similar problem compiling a different application) is to copy,
in the kernel source header file tree, the file
/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/include/asm/system.h to
/usr/src/linux/arch/x86/include/asm/.  I plan on trying that.

Bill Wayson