[riptide] XFree86 4.2.0 "trident" and Conexant HSFi modem

Christian Barth barth@cck.uni-kl.de
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 09:47:59 +0200

Hello!

I have a RH 7.3 (kernel 2.4.18) PC with an MSI MS-6368 Mainbord with
integrated trident blade 2d/3d video accelerator and a "Acer Modem 56 Surf
PCI" which uses the Conexant HSFi chipset. All works well as long as I use
(the slow) XF86_SVGA 3.3.6a X-Server.

If I use X 4.2.0 things stop working as soon as I move a window: The
connection gets very bad and the modem hangs up. Any ideas? How to debug
this?

This happens with the modem drivers supplied by conexant as well as with
the new beta drivers. I have tried debian 3.0 as well with a costum 2.4.18
kernel: same situation. It is not with kde, because it happens with fvwm2
as well. I have a cerleon 1100 Mhz cpu and 256 MB RAM.

BTW,
X 4.2.0 dedects the 8 MB RAM (supplied by the main borad), but only uses 4
of them.

Thanks,

Christian

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?