[riptide] Fwd: riptide driver problem solved

James Petersen jpeter20@yahoo.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:32:50 -0800 (PST)

To users having trouble with the Riptide kernel
module,

I originally posted a couple messages reporting
problems I had with unresolved symbols when trying to
load the Riptide audio driver in SuSE 7.2, 8.0 and
8.1.  The missing symbol was dealing with
"kmap_pagetable".  Amazingly, "shortyj" emailed me
last week with the solution, and I tried it--it works!
 The solution is so simple too.

Now I'm able to play audio through RealPlayer, as well
as playing .wav files.  The only files that don't work
are MIDI (.mid) files; Kmid seems to be able to output
the files to the MIDI device OK, but no sound appears
on my speakers.  (I've checked the volume control
settings already--they're OK.)  I'm wondering if there
isn't really support for MIDI in Ritpide boards,
without some additional software and/or sound bank
files.  (I remember with SoundBlaster boards in Linux
that you could add various sound bank files in the
form of .sfx/.sbx (something like that) files that I
found on my Windows system.  Maybe the same deal here?

Anyway, to those who try the fix below, you'll also
need to load the sound drivers into the kernel, using
the command (as root) "modprobe riptidelow".  I've
done some reading, and this apparently can be added in
an appropriate system startup file (maybe
/etc/init.d/boot.local or some such file).

--
Jim Petersen