[riptide] Fwd: Riptide Audio Drivers

James Petersen jpeter20@yahoo.com
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:14:13 -0800 (PST)

To all,

I'm still having trouble with getting the Riptide
drivers to install cleanly on SuSE 8.0.  Below is a
forwarded message from another user who is having the
same trouble I am, on SuSE 8.1.  The problem is with
depmod reporting an unresolved symbol
"kmap_pagetable":

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc/riptideint.o
depmod:         kmap_pagetable
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc/riptidelow.o
depmod:         kmap_pagetable
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc/riptidesound.o
depmod:         kmap_pagetable

Looking on Usenet news, I find perhaps one useful
discussion on what may be causing this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=linux.kernel.3CD339B7.5BEB2DB4%40eyal.emu.id.au&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dkmap_pagetable%2Bunresolved%2Bsymbols%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3Dlinux.kernel.3CD339B7.5BEB2DB4%2540eyal.emu.id.au%26rnum%3D1

I'm not at all familiar enough with the kernel to make
sense out of this discussion, but perhaps someone can
take this information and run with it, in order to
resolve the problem.

A potential solution is to purchase a real sound card
and a real modem and plug them into the computer (in
my case an HP Pavilion), but then you need to deal
with disabling the original components, wasting slots,
spending more money, and reconfiguring Windows (if
you're still using Windows like I do!).  I can tell
you this: my next PC purchase will not be an HP, or
any of the other "all-in-one" proprietary component,
cheap PC solutions.

Thanks!

--Jim P., Detroit