[riptide] Re: [hcflinux] Re: [hsflinux-announce] Linuxant releases significantly enhanced Conexant HCF and HSF drivers

Marc Boucher marc at linuxant.com
Mon Sep 8 18:36:16 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:15:11PM +0200, Daniel Caujolle-Bert wrote:

> > > 	What a shame. Now that many people helps, report problems, send
> > > patches, etc... they have to pay (even modest) to use a non limited
> > > version of the driver. Nice to see were proprietary drivers can go...
> >
> > We tried the totally free approach and unfortunately it didn't work in
> > this case. Because the modules are not entirely open-source
> > due to legal restrictions, people barely sent any patches,
> > instead mostly floading my personal mailbox with requests for
> > improvements. So we ended up having to do all development;
> > which is very costly and can only continue if we can pay salaries.
>
> 	Okay, but changing the policy is quite unfair, i can't imagine people
> who contributes and now have to pay to use their modem at 56k.

For people who have contributed to the Linux kernel, we have a free license
policy. Quoting https://www.linuxant.com/store/products.php:

"We would like to express our gratitude to all the people who have
contributed to the Linux project by entitling everyone whose email
address appears in the MAINTAINERS or CREDITS file of the kernel to a
complimentary (non-transferable) license. If you qualify, simply email
community at linuxant.com to request your license."

> 	I just took a look at the download page, is it me or old version (full
> speed for free) can't be grabbed ? If it's the case, i think it would be
> nice and fair to let the latest one downloadable for anyone who
> won't/can't pay.

The old beta version is really obsolete and had a bunch of problems that
would cause technical support nightmares (even if we say it's not
officially supported people send us tons of mail) and negatively affect our
reputation.

Regards
Marc