[riptide] Re: [hcflinux] Re: [hsflinux-announce] Linuxant releasessignificantly enhanced Conexant HCF and HSF drivers

Marc Boucher marc at linuxant.com
Mon Sep 8 19:17:19 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:55:04PM +0100, Martin Hughes wrote:

> >For people who have contributed to the Linux kernel, we have a free
> >license
> >policy. Quoting https://www.linuxant.com/store/products.php:
>
> >"We would like to express our gratitude to all the people who have
> >contributed to the Linux project by entitling everyone whose email
> >address appears in the MAINTAINERS or CREDITS file of the kernel to a
> >complimentary (non-transferable) license. If you qualify, simply email
> >community at linuxant.com to request your license."
>
> Perhaps you can go one step better than that and extend that to us beta
> testers who supplied information to your mailing lists(and who are mentioned
> collectively in your credits). I willingly performed several system builds
> using HCF generic rpms, under various Mandrake Versions, and then made the
> information public on your mailing list to help others. Many other people
> did the same with their Linux distros. You have our names and our messages
> recorded in your archives, so the information is there.

The problem is where to draw the line, since the beta drivers were
usable and publicly available - therefore anyone can call themselves a tester ;-)

But you do have a point; let's run some stats on the mailing list archives.

The top non-Linuxant posters are:

    149 Tony Earnshaw <tonni at billy.demon.nl>
     45 "Angus Auld" <angusauld at hotmail.com>
     21 "patrick reen" <patrickfreen at hotmail.com>
     20 robert w hall <bobh at n-cantrell.demon.co.uk>
     20 "Edward Hoohenkerk" <edwardh at uwnet.nl>
     19 George Bell <gbell5 at cox.net>
     18 "Martin Hughes" <martin.hughes at mrch.freeserve.co.uk>
     17 "Franki" <frankieh at vianet.net.au>
     16 Thomas White <taw27 at cam.ac.uk>
     16 John Spray <john at spray.screaming.net>
     15 Bertrik Sikken <bertrik at zonnet.nl>
     14 Michael McConnell <soruk at eridani.co.uk>
     12 Sebastian Stein <s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de>
     11 tom <tomshortall at eircom.net>
     11 "Michael Landon - IBN" <mlandon at ibnads.com>
     10 Stuart Longland <stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org>
     10 =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=F6rkur?= <bugsy at isl.is>

So let's acknowledge and reward the participation of dedicated beta testers
by extending the same free license policy to everyone who has in the past
posted to the lists more than 10 times (listed above) or been thanked for a
bug report in the CHANGES file.

Cheers
Marc