[driverloader] Dell BCM4301 802.11b Driver on SuSE 9.0 Not Working- License is running out..

Charles Love SuSE-Charles at tntscg.com
Wed Dec 31 09:08:56 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 02:48, Urs mueller wrote:
> Charles Love sagte:
> > I have an Wide Open AP @ the office. with No Encryption. its just no
> > broadcast, I also have a locked down one @ home. Both work under
> > windows with no special settings.. I have no switches or anything like
> > that..
> >
> > IWLIST SCAN:
> >
> > linux-clove:~ # iwlist scan
> > lo        Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
> > eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
> > wlan0     Failed to read scan data : No data available
> > sit0      Interface doesn't support scanning : Invalid argument
> > vmnet1    Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
> > vmnet8    Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
> > linux-clove:~ #
> >
> > At home I have a Netgear Wireless Cable/Dsl router (i can get you
> > model number later)
> >
> > here at work we have an Airport Extreme AP.
>
> Ok, your primary network is the built in Ethernet-Controller.
> Please be sure, that the wlan0 also tries to get and set dhcp-settings.
> Follow the instruction:
> - as superuser (root)
> - change to /etc/sysconfig/network
> - cat ifcfg-wlan0
> - check if it looks *like* mine
>   BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
>   MTU=''
>   REMOTE_IPADDR=''
>   STARTMODE='onboot'
>   DHCLIENT_MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF='yes'
>   DHCLIENT_SET_DEFAULT_ROUTE='yes'
>   UNIQUE='The unique key, SuSE/Yast uses to identify the device'
>   WIRELESS_ESSID='Your ESSID'
>   WIRELESS_KEY='here goes the hex wep key, if wep enabled'
>   WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
>   WIRELESS_NICK=''
>   WIRELESS_NWID=''
> - especially the lines beginning with "DHCLIENT" have to be
>   present. If they are not, SuSE-Linux will assign the IP-
>   Adress to wlan0 from dhcp, but will not set DNS-Resolution
>   and will not add a default route.
> - I am not sure, but I think you have to launch "SuSEconfig"
>   after modification to ifcfg-wlan0 to be sure, all modifi-
>   cations are written to the appropriate files.
> - Maybe you are able to manage some settings using Yast,
>   network-configuration. As my wlan is on eth1, yast don't
>   give me the appropriate dialog for entering wlan-settings.
>
> I am using a IBM Thinkpad R40 with a miniPCI-Card a/b/g
> from IBM (atheros based) and a D-Link DWL-2000AP Access-Point.
> I tried it in open mode and with WEP.
>
> Happy holidays, Urs Mueller, Berne, Switzerland

Hmmm.. Ok.. When I cat it I get this..

linux-clove:/etc/sysconfig/network # cat ifcfg-wlan0
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
MTU=''
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='onboot'
UNIQUE=''
WIRELESS_ESSID='My System'
WIRELESS_KEY='1212121212'
WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
WIRELESS_NICK='My System'
WIRELESS_NWID=''
BROADCAST='192.168.1.255'
IPADDR='192.168.1.188'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
NETWORK='192.168.1.0'

Where is it getting the the Static IP's From.. I also dont see the lines for DHCLIENT
Could this be my problem?

Im using the KiWiFiManager to change my configuration. Should I be doing it from elsewhere?

Thanks For All Your Help!
--Charles