[driverloader] Broadcom BCM94306 802.11b/g on HP nx9010

joe.reves at att.net joe.reves at att.net
Sun Jan 25 22:14:56 EST 2004

I'm running a Mandrake 9.2 distribution ( kernel 2.4.22-10mdk) on an HP
"Compaq" nx9010, with an integrated BCM94306 802.11b/g nic.  I understand the
support situation with Broadcom, and I had high hopes for driverloader!

I was able to install driverloader without any issues, and locate the correct
XP driver files - this machine dual-boots XP, and runs the wireless nic just
fine under XP.

Driverloader flawlessly loaded the drivers, and offered me a number of
"advanced options", including an "IBSS 54g(tm) Mode", which includes an option
for "802.11b Only" - an option I selected, since I'm working with an 802.11b
AP at home.

Unfortunately - while I can use iwconfig to correctly set my Rate, my WEP key,
my SSID, and so forth, I cannot seem to force this card to shift from 802.11g
to 802.11b.

I'm using driverloader version 1.55:
[root at wu-sao config]# dldrconfig --version

Here's my iwconfig output:
eth1      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"xxxxxx"  Nickname:"unknown"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.442GHz  Bit Rate=11Mb/s   Tx-Power=16 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:1/1  Signal level:-10 dBm  Noise level:-84 dBm

I think I saw this discussed last year on the list here:

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 01:07:31PM +0200, Marc Boucher wrote:
> Due to an NDIS limitation affecting devices supporting more than
> 8 rates, we haven't fully enabled the support for rate selection yet.
> It will be working soon however.
> Marc
I'm wondering if this is still a pending enhancement?  As I mentioned, I did
try to set the "Advanced" option to "802.11b Only", but it's still a no-go.

I'm also getting a warning message when I run iwconfig:

Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 15
of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 16.
Some things may be broken...

I'm running wireless-tools-26-1mdk.  It doesn't seem to impact my ability to
set parameters with iwconfig, but it truncates some of my status output.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!