[driverloader] Netgear WG311 not working on Mandrake 9.2 with Linuxant

Chausson Cédric cedric.chausson at noos.fr
Fri Feb 6 14:03:54 EST 2004

Hello all,

I have a Netgear WG311 on my Mandrake 9.2. I installed driverloader and that process went through without problem. The Web interface tells me the card is installed and driver is ok.

After the installation of driverloader, I found I was able to pass commands through the command line with iwconfig but iwconfig showed that :

Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Furthermore the Wireless applet showed me that there is no signal.

I checked that driverloader was loaded but it was.

I tried rebooting and saw on screen that activation of eth2 failed. In the messages log I see that :

ifplugd(eth2)[1372]: Using interface eth2
ifplugd(eth2)[1372]: Failed to find working plug detection mode for eth2
ifplugd(eth2)[1372]: Executing '/etc/ifplugd/ ifplugd.action eth2 up'.
ifplugd(eth2)[1372]: client: dr
fplugd(eth2)[1372]: Program execution failed,
return value is 1.
ifplugd(eth2)[1372]: Exiting.
network: Activation de l'interface eth2 :
failed

After reboot when I check with lsmod, driverloader is running. When I check with iwconfig I see :

IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""  Nickname:""
Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Bit Rate=54Mb/s
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

If I do ifup eth2 it takes into account the ifcfg-eth2 I created and I get :

IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"snurx"  Nickname:"snurx.fr"
Mode:Ad-Hoc  Channel:0  Bit Rate=54Mb/s
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

But link quality is still zero and the wireless applet still tells me there is no signal.

Anyone have an idea how to activate the card ? I want to it to work in ad-hoc mode.

Thanks in advance !!