[driverloader] I can't use wpa/wep

Cristiano De Michele demichel at na.infn.it
Sun Jul 11 19:48:24 EDT 2004

Hi,
I almost completely solved my problems on WEP/WPA
with latest USrobotics driver/firmware for USR805410/USR808054 changing
some settings
(PrivacyMode, CCXSecurityType,dot11WEPStatus=1 fields)
in /etc/driverloader/config/XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX.
Now I can use WEP encryption and WPA-PSK.
Anyway concerning latter one when I launch wpa_supplicant
I get following output (though it works):

Trying to associate with 00:c0:49:e0:61:72 (SSID='XXXXXXXXXXXXXX'
freq=2462 MHz)
EAPOL frame received in disassociated state - dropped
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Invalid argument
Failed to set encryption.
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Invalid argument
Failed to set encryption.
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Invalid argument
Failed to set encryption.
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Invalid argument
Failed to set encryption.
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Invalid argument
Failed to set encryption.
WPA: Key negotiation completed with XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

the Failed to set encryption message is ok?
moreover if I kill wpa_supplicant daemon before unloading driverloader I
get a kernel panic (this is reproducible)...

thanks Cristiano

Text of my previous mail:

Hi,
I have a usr805410 pcmcia card and a usr808054 AP
and so far I used driverloader-1.72 + usr11g4.0q driver (for
pcmcia card) with 256 bit WEP encryption without any problem.
Recently USRobotics released usr11g6.0b14 driver and
firmware 1.44b12 for AP and I installed them to have WPA-PSK
security and 125Mbps.
Without any encryption driverloader works fine (I get
really almost 4Mb/s of transfer rate!) but unfortunately
I can't set WEP nor WPA because I get following errors:

WEP:
doing

> iwconfig eth1 key ...

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.

WPA:
doing
wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -ieth1

 ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
Failed to enable WPA in the driver.

moreover trying to set WEP sometime my laptop froze (caps
lock starts blinking hence I guess it's a MCE exception)
and I had to reboot it.
This did not ever happen with old 4.0q driver.
I attached also the driverloaderdiag.txt file.

many thanks,
Cristiano
--
Cristiano De Michele 	             E-mail: cristiano.demichele at phys.uniroma1.it
Department of Physics                Tel.  : +39064457131