[driverloader] Driverloader module not functioning until reloaded

Steven Sumpter tech at sumpter.org.uk
Sun Nov 7 11:59:06 EST 2004

I have two problems with driverloader running on Mandrake 10.1 community
and a D-Link DWL-610.

The first problem was that the driverloader module was being loaded just
after mandrake attempted to start the eth1 interface.  I solved this by
changing the name of /etc/rc5.d/S11driverloader to S10driverloader.

The second problem is harder to solve.  When loaded into memory on boot,
the driverloader module does not function at all.  I have checked that
the module is in memory with lsmod, but no lights on the network card
come on.
If I remove the driver and reload it with rmmod and modprobe, it starts
to function immediately.

Why doesn't it work when it is loaded at boot time, and how can I make
it work?

Steve.