[hcflinux] modem keeps hanging up after connection. (time varies.)

Franki frankieh at vianet.net.au
Fri Apr 19 07:45:06 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I know this isn't a high traphic list, but I figured it can't hurt to ask..

Are any of you guys having problems with the modem occasionally hanging up?

sometimes it will stay on for 16 hours straight.. other times it redials
over and over.. (costing me a fortune :-)

in the logs pppd keeps reporting exit code 16. (modem hangup)

The OS is Mandrake8.2 using the 8.2 RPM's.

I thought at first it might have been my init string, but I dont' think that
is the case anymore..

The system is my old home server, which is a 233mmx IBM300PL with 160MB of
ram and a 40gig 7200rpm IBM harddisk.

I actually really like this setup, it seems to be giving me a much faster
connection then the 56k external serial it replaced  did. but if it keeps
hanging up, its not really that much use..

I'd love to hear some suggestions if anyone has any???

kindest regards

Frank
Perth, Western Australia.