[hcflinux] Computer freezes with hcf drivers

Marc Boucher marc at mbsi.ca
Mon May 27 21:29:13 EDT 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 02:08:04AM +0100, tom wrote:
> Marc,
>
> I thought all kernels in the 2.2.x and 2.4.x series were supported?
>
> "HCF for Linux drivers . . . should work on most current Linux
> distributions, based on the 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels."

"should work" does not necessarily mean "will work". Although quite a few
people still successfully use our drivers under 2.2, there are some issues
with the older kernels which we cannot always avoid.

Generally I think that our energy is better spent improving driver stability
and functionality on modern kernels rather than wasting hours testing
or investigating weird interactions with legacy versions.

On the distribution side, SuSE 7.1 is hardly current. 8.0 is the latest
version. Before that there were 7.2 and 7.3. My advice to those complaining
about problems with really old kernels/distributions is: upgrade!

Marc