[hcflinux] vaio xg28: it works, but it's slow

George H. Fisher fisher at ssl.berkeley.edu
Thu May 30 01:19:44 EDT 2002

Hi Mark,

I sent you a message a couple of weeks ago when the 127a:2005 modem on
my sony vaio xg28 finally started working.  I just installed your 020526
driver for rh7.3 (rpm) after upgrading to rh7.3, and that appears to be
working as well.  After the euphoria of having the modem work, though, I
have noticed that it is darned slow.  At the remote end, it will claim
to connect at e.g. 33K or 38K but simple web pages load like molasses,
and downloading simple email attachments is also much slower than the
same modem under the windows98 driver that came with the vaio.

Is there any kind of diagnostic check I could do that would allow you to
understand why the driver is so slow at the dataflow?  I'd be more than
happy to help the cause...

George
George H. Fisher          | Ph: 510-642-8896
Space Sciences Laboratory | Fax: 510-643-8302
University of California  | Email: fisher at ssl.berkeley.edu
Berkeley, CA 94720-7450   | URL: sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~fisher/