[hcflinux] Modem seems to install, but I can't go to any URL

G M. gorfo_linux at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 15:09:39 EDT 2002

Hello one and all,

I running (well, attempting to run) Red Hat 7.2.
I have a Rockwell modem with the conexant chip.

I emailed Red Hat tech support and they directed me
to:

http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/hcf/downloads-rh-i686.html
After I figured out which kernel, I DL'd this driver
file:

http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/hcf/latest/dl/hcflinmodem-
0.93mbsibeta02060200k2.4.7_10-1rh.i686.rpm

OK...
So I boot into Linux, load the file onto the desktop,
open a terminal and type this command:
rpm -i
/root/.gnome-desktop/hcflinmodem-0.93mbsibeta02060200k2.4.7_10-
1rh.i686.rpm

It looks like it's installing the driver, and says
something like:
'You should now be able to use your modem'
After creating an ISP connection through Networking or
Create a dial up connection, I launch Mozilla and it
won't go anywhere. No web sites, and
the modem doesn't sound like it's dialing out. At
least, not how it sounds in windows. I don't know what
it should sound like in Linux.

Thank you for any assistance
-Gorfo