[hcflinux] Modem Hangup on Data download periodically.

Basant Kukreja basant_kukreja at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 13 18:35:03 EDT 2002

Hi,
    I have a HCF Modem. Details are given
below. It is a Creative Modem Blaster.
I am using this modem on Windows machine
from last two year without any problem.
The issues is that I am able to connect
to my ISP without any problem but
when I start downloading some files,
It disconnects by saying Modem hangup
error ( pppd died with error code 16).
Normal browsing , it most often works
fine e.g I am sending this mail from
Linux only with this modem connection.

I have tried wvconf, kppp and both gives
the same result.
OS : Redhat Linux 7.3
HCF Modem version : hcfpcimodem-0.98mbsibeta02101000
I have tried with both RPM and source tar ball.
Both are having same problem. Also I have
tried the old versions too.

Here are details of the modem :
The /proc/pci gives following info about
the modem .
  Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
    Communication controller: Conexant HCF 56k
Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp (w/Handset) Modem (rev 8).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xdf800000
[0xdf80ffff].
      I/O at 0xb000 [0xb007].

Is this a known bug. Is there any workaround
for that.
There is also a minor issue that I don't hear
the dial tone which I don't mind.

Anyway Thanks for Marc Boucher for writing this
driver.

Regards,
Basant.