[hcflinux] /dev/ttySHCF0 does not exist

Karl Scheel karl.scheel at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 16 12:01:54 EDT 2003

Hi Celui,

If /dev/ttySHCF0 exists, but the modem is not found, it most likely means
that you need to create a new link called "modem" in /dev that points to
ttySHCF0; chances are that you already have this link already, but it
points to ttyS0 (i.e., COM1) or ttyS1 (i.e., COM2). You need to erase this
link and then create another one with the same name using the following
command (Make sure that you are logged in as "root" and that you are in
the /dev directory first.):

ln -s ttySHCF0 modem

Once the link is created, log in as user. You then need to configure kppp,
gppp, wvdial, or whatever dialer program you are using to use the device
called "/dev/modem", not "/dev/ttyS0" or "/dev/ttyS1" whenever it attempts
to dial out to your ISP. However, if you are using a newer version of kppp
or whatever, you may find that you are able to choose "/dev/ttySHCF0" from
a list of device options; if this is the case, you may simply choose this
this device directly, meaning you don't need to create a link as outlined
above. I myself am using an older version of kppp that doesn't have this
option, because the device "/dev/ttySHCF0" does not exist within its list
of device choices, so I therefore needed to create this link in order to
be able use that device from within kppp.

Regards,

Karl