[hcflinux] Semi-success with a "no name" modem

Andreas U. Trottmann andreas.trottmann at werft22.com
Thu Mar 16 13:22:12 EST 2006

Hello list,

When I recently found myself forced to replace a trusty old
external serial "real" modem, I thought I wanted to try and get
the plunge into the world of soundcards-with-a-phone-jack. The
first "modem" I found was a PCI card with a Conenxant chip on it.

lspci says
00:0c.0 Communication controller: Conexant: Unknown device 1085 (rev 89)

(numerical, it's 14f1:1085)

And the main chip says the following:

"conexant cx06834-11 e298967-1 0248 mexico"

Googling showed that 1085 may be either HSF or HCF, while
"cx06834-11" showed up some HCF modems.

So I first tried the HSF driver, which claimed it didn't find
anything. The HCF driver, however, said

---
Config for modem unit 0: /dev/ttySHCF0
        Device instance: 0-PCI-14f1:1085-14f1:1085
        HW revision    : DP Part '73' Rev 'BA' Asic ID 0x86
        HW profile name: hcfpciv90
        Registration ID: 3AE7-2902-5B75
        License owner  : andreas.trottmann at werft22.com
        License key    : FREE
        License status : FREE (max 14.4kbps data only)
        Current region : SWITZERLAND (T.35 code: 00A6)
---

while dmesg tells me

---
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0c.0
ttySHCF0 at I/O 0xd400 (irq = 11) is a Conexant HCF controllerless PCI modem (PCI-14f1:1085-14f1:1085)
---

using minicom on /dev/ttySHCF0 and typing "ATD<number>" indeed
dials this number, and when picking up manually, I hear the
characteristic "beep...  beep... beep" sounds. However, as soon
as I make any noise, the line is immediately disconnected, and
minicom shows the modem telling me BUSY.

I get the same result (dialing -> pick up -> immediate hangup
with  BUSY) when a real, working modem picks the line up.

Dialing the winmodem's phone line gives no visible results, i.e.
no RING.

Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong?

--
Andreas Trottmann
Werft22 AG