[hsflinux] RE: Modprobe segfaults on 'hsfserial' load

Sourav.Mandal at ikaran.com Sourav.Mandal at ikaran.com
Wed Jul 24 14:28:42 EDT 2002

Rob,

Yes, that's exactly it.  The associated dump to
dmesg/console is unintelligle to me.  I've tried
putting in 'printk'  tatements and what not, but
the module seems to die so violently that my debug
commands don't even execute.  (My kernel hacking
experience is minimal, at best, so it's possible
I don't know what I'm doing.)

Some ideas for approaching the problem:

* Recompile modprobe with debugging symbols, and
try to isolate where it's dying.  However, we _know_
that the module is pissing of the kernel inside the
module initialization routine ('hsf_serial_init').

* Keep stripping away functionality from the module
until the bug disappears.  This will be painful because
the only way to clear the module is with a reboot.  Hence,
it'd be great if I could get debugging statements to
actually work for me.

* Actually try to decipher the errordump.  Beyond my
expertise.

The following kernel settings make no difference:

* ACPI
* Low latency
* Preemptive scheduling
* BIOS-only PCI resource allocation
* Hack to get DMA IDE access working
* Miscellaneous (USB, sound, etc.)

All in all, it's rather frustrating.  My only connection
to the Internet from home is through modem dialup.  Hence,
I can't really migrate to the new machine the old one
until that's working.

Hopefully we'll figure it out soon.

Regards,

Sourav

PS: If you freqent Gentoo Forums, I'm "Hypnos"