[hsflinux] Actiontec MD560RD on Dell Inspiron 8200 - System Hangs on Disconnect

Andy Cooke ceeawc at cee.hw.ac.uk
Wed Aug 28 10:03:32 EDT 2002

Chris Nitkin wrote:

> Hi
> I'm a proud owner of a new Dell Inspiron 8200 (for college).  However, the
> Actiontec MD560RD modem is giving me some problems.  I downloaded the
> http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/hsf/archive/hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02082400/hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02082400.tar.gz
> package from the website, and installed it without a problem.  I configured it
> for the USA and it created the symlink to /dev/modem.  It connects fine, but
> whenever I disconnect, or when the connection times out and automatically
> disconnects, the whole system freezes and I have to unplug the machine and
> reboot.  Is this a problem with the drivers, or a known problem with this
> particular modem, or is there a fix (please!)?

I also have a dell Inspiron 8200 (8086:2486 modem) with redhat 7.2 and
the same driver, and experience the same problems... let me know if you
find a fix for this... I use rp3 to start the modem, I've learnt to
unplug the cable rather than press "disconnect" to avoid a system crash!

best wishes,

Andy Cooke