[hsflinux] Problems to install in Debian

Panayotis Katsaloulis panayotis at panayotis.com
Thu Oct 7 16:28:03 EDT 2004

I am using Debian Sid distribution and I am trying to install the hsf modem
drivers in debain.

This problem is not package specific, since I tried both the DEB as also the
TAR.GZ package.

The problem is that after the installation, when I run  I see this message:

Conexant HSF softmodem driver, version 6.03.00lnxt04082400full

If you need license keys, assistance or more information, please go to:

When reporting a problem for the first time, please send
us the file generated by "hsfconfig --dumpdiag".

No pre-built modules for: Debian-3.1 linux-2.6.7 i686

Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?

Building modules for kernel 2.6.7, using source directory
/lib/modules/2.6.7/build. Please wait...

ERROR: hsf driver not active

Since it is advisable to send the hsfdiag.txt, I have uploaded it to

If I try to manually modprobe some hsf* modules and then start again the
procedule is successfull.
So it seems to be a problem with the module configuration.

How can automatically solve this situation?

My being refuses to be hooked up on a line.