[hsflinux] modem responds to AT commands but won't dial

Mitch Wiedemann mitch at mwmu.com
Mon Nov 24 17:46:04 EST 2008

Hello,

I've recently upgraded a client's computer from Ubuntu Gutsy (which had
a working Linuxant full-speed driver) to Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10.

After the upgrade, I did the following:

1. removed the existing alsa and hsfmodem packages
2. Downloaded the latest alsa-driver-linuxant and hsfmodem (matching my
kernel) packages.
3. Installed alsa-driver-linuxant
4. Rebooted
5. Installed hsfmodem

The proper /dev/tty entries were created and symlinked to /dev/modem.

I can send AT commands to the modem (with wvdial and minicom) and
receive "OK" messages back, but when I try to do ATDT, nothing happens.
I eventually get a "NO CARRIER" message.  I've listened to the phone
line using a spare handset, and the modem just never makes a peep.

I'd be grateful for any assistance you can provide.

Attached is the hsfdiag.txt (gzipped)