[hsflinux] hsf driver won't drop the line

Wayne Price w.price at electronic-alchemy.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 18:14:18 EST 2008

I'm having a problem with the latest Conexant HSF softmodem driver,
7.68.00.14full, on a CentOS 5 system with kernel 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.

I have the full license configured on the driver, the device is setup and
almost everything works (this is for a HylaFax installation). The issue we
have is that the phone line is never dropped following an incoming
connection.

The system receives the RING, answers the phone and receives the fax and
forwards it to the relevant e-mail address. But from the point, the modem
responds to the various commands (e.g. ATH0, ATZ with OK, indicating that
the line has been hung up and the modem reset). But upon trying to send
another fax, the line is still engaged. The modem absolutely refused to drop
the phone line. The only way I can drop the phone line is to unload the
kernel module with hsfstop after shutting down the hylafax 'faxgetty'
application for the modem.

Does anyone have any ideas for things to try, things to check, or something
I'm missing in the setup?

The modem information, from 'hsfconfig -info' reads:

Config for modem unit 0: /dev/ttySHSF0

Device instance: 0-PCI-14f1:2f50-14f1:205f

HW revision    : Basic2 2.22 Standard DAA SSD=1 LSD=0x0

HW profile name: hsfpcibasic2hsfi

Registration ID: <snip>

License owner  : <snip>

License key    : <snip>

License status : OK

Current region : UK (T.35 code: 00B4)

Where do I go from here? If any log information will be useful, I can
provide it.

Wayne