[driverloader] fedora kernel update, driverloader update

Marc Boucher marc at linuxant.com
Tue Jan 13 16:41:20 EST 2004

Hi Jason,

Linuxant tries to provide pre-built binary packages for all current
distribution kernels in a timely fashion. However there are times where
the number and frequency of kernel updates is overwhelming (due to the
discovery of security weaknesses and other bugs, or inherent nature of
specific distributions like fedora which fluctuate a lot) and we wait a
little for things to stabilize before releasing new packages. In such
cases, users are generally able to use the generic packages which are
not tied to any particular kernel versions but require gcc and
kernel-source to be installed to dynamically build the modules for the
currently running kernel.

With the generic package installed, it is generally sufficient to run
"dldrconfig -ka" after a kernel update to rebuild the kernel modules.
No re-installation or card reconfiguration should be necessary.

We have tested DriverLoader with arjanv's 2.6 kernel RPMs in the past,
and it worked fine then.

Hope this helps,
Marc

--