[driverloader] WMP54G, WPC54G, WRT54G WPA PSK AES on XP but only WEP 128 w/ LINUXANT

MMMGRRRL mmmgrrrl at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 18 23:20:31 EST 2004

      Any Ideas?

      I have a dual boot desktop running RedHat 9 (2.4.20.28.9) /  Windows XP and an XP laptop. The Linksys router and adapters have the latest drivers.
      I've been successfully using a 40-character ascii passphrase with WPA PSK AES with the XP supplicant on both the desktop and
      laptop for a while now.

      I've installed the latest Linuxant driverloader with the WMP54G driver and the wpa_supplicant. I am able to successfully connect in the following configurations :
                               - No security
                               - WEP SHARED with 128bit hex key specified (generated by an ascii "zipadeedoodah").

      However,  trying to connect with the ascii "zipadeedoodah" passphrase fails. ( I did find a comment in IWCONFIG that passphrase
      is not supported).

      Most importantly, starting wpa_supplicant -dd with the same passphrase that works with all of the XP supplicants noted above results in :

                           wpa_driver_hostap_set_wpa: enabled=1
                           wpa_driver_hostap_set_key: alg=none key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
                           wpa_driver_hostap_set_key: alg=none key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
                           wpa_driver_hostap_set_key: alg=none key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
                           wpa_driver_hostap_set_key: alg=none key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
                           wpa_driver_hostap_set_countermeasures: enabled=0
                           wpa_driver_hostap_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=1
                           Starting AP scan
                           Wireless event: cmd=0x8b19 len=12
                           Received 202 bytes of scan results (1 BSSes)
                           Scan results: 1
                           0: 00:06:25:c6:24:5b ssid='not_my_ssid' wpa_ie_len=0
                           No suitable AP found.

     As expected, IWLIST SCAN does not find my AP either.

     Throughout all tests (XP supplicants and Linuxant), all hardware remains in the original locations.