[driverloader] Re: [Solved!] Constant, excessive disk activity with D-Link DWL-G650 rev B3

Vladimir G. Ivanovic vladimir at leonora.org
Thu Mar 11 13:33:57 EST 2004

I spoke too soon. Although my problem is fixed, I now don't think it has
anything to do with /etc/modules.conf.

Turning on and off nfs triggers the disk activity.

But ... even though I had nfs on and disk activity all night long, now
... nothing. Since my last reboot, I've turned nfs on and off several
times and all seem well. Strange.

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir at acm.org
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014

    vgi>
    vgi> This list is wonderful! Just posting my problem to the list caused the
    vgi> answer to pop into my head ;-)
    vgi>
    vgi> I had some incorrect entries in /etc/modules.conf that conflicted with
    vgi> the entries for my wireless card and driverloader. Fixing them quieted
    vgi> my disk.
    vgi>
    vgi>   Before:
    vgi>     alias 3c589_cs
    vgi>     alias eth0 3c589_cs
    vgi>
    vgi>   Now:
    vgi>     alias eth1 3c589_cs
    vgi>     alias eth0 driverloader
    vgi>
    vgi> --- Vladimir
    vgi>
    vgi> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vgi> Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
    vgi> 2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir at acm.org
    vgi> Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014
    vgi> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vgi>
    vgi>
    vgi> My disk is *constantly* active. I can shut the activity off with `ifdown
    vgi> eth0' ;-)
    vgi>
    vgi> When I say constantly, I mean 200-300 KB/s and 30% CPU (according to
    vgi> gkrellm). This has a huge performance hit on my old, slow NEC Versa SX
    vgi> (300 MHz Pentium II, 256 MB, 40GB disk). It nearly, but not quite, makes
    vgi> the system unusable.
    vgi>
    vgi> I am running a fully updated Fedora Core 1 (2.4.22-1.2174.nptl kernel)
    vgi>
    vgi> How can I shut this needless disk activity off?
    vgi>
    vgi> Thanks.
    vgi>
    vgi> --- Vladimir
    vgi>
    vgi> P.S. More information, including the output of `dldrconfig --dumpdiag'
    vgi> gladly provided.
    vgi> driverloader mailing list
    vgi> driverloader at lists.linuxant.com