[driverloader] Linksys WPC11 on SUSE 9.1

Terry Coles nof at hadrian-way.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 20:16:00 EST 2005

I've been trying to set up a Linksys WPC11, Ver 4 on my wife's Dell Inspiron
2650 laptop, running SUSE 9.1.  I'm having little success.  The card works OK
under Windows, (although I recall that getting the encryption settings right
was 'interesting').

Thanks to support, I overcame the initial problems where the driverloader web
configurator kept telling me that the drivers were incompatible with the card
(use the Realtek drivers not the ones from Linksys).  After my various
attempts to configure it, (see below), the card  appears to be recognised for
what it is, and the system tries to get an IP address for it during boot up.
However, this fails, and there is no communication (as you would expect).

I *think* that my problem now stems from the way that I am setting it up in
SUSE YAST, so I'm hoping that there might be someone on this list who has
done this before and can give me pointers to the correct settings.  When I
first booted after getting driverloader sorted, the card was unconfigured, so
I went into that dialog.  Even though the reported strings indicate that this
is a Wireless Card, I still have to select 'Wireless' in the drop down box
and click on PCMCIA below it.  I've tried setting the encryption up and also
disabled it, but no matter what I do, I can't get a squeak out if it.

I've tried using dldrconfig and iwconfig as discussed in the FAQs, and also
wavemon to try to see what's going on.  The problem as I see it, is that the
card isn't being set up, because there is no Tx or Rx signal shown; it's
basically dead.  Now I may be wrong, but I would have expected to see RF
power, even in a system that isn't correctly configured in terms of
encryption etc.

The AP is set up to advertise it's ESSID and I've tried opening it up
completely (no encryption, no MAC address filtering).  At no time do I see
RF.

All ideas gratefully received.

--
		Terry Coles