[hsflinux] problem with compaq pres. 700

Mathias Weigt weigt at uni.de
Sat Dec 7 18:52:41 EST 2002

Am Samstag, 7. Dezember 2002 14:39 schrieb Tony Earnshaw:
> lør, 2002-12-07 kl. 11:58 skrev Mathias Weigt:
> > I have a problem with a COMPAQ Presario 700 705EA (Athlon 4 1000).
> > I downloaded the latest HSF Driver (SRC-RPM 5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02110301).
> > Distribution is SuSE-8.0 and kernel 2.4.19-4GB with appropriate sources
> > from SuSE-FTP.
>
> Basically because I have more or less the same hardware as you and mine
> works, have you looked at:
>
> http://www.linux-laptop.net/
> http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~berensch/compaq.html

I've looked at them - very nice to see that it should run.

> I *have* to add, that I'm running Red Hat 7.2 with many updates. I
> *have* to add that I compile my own kernels from kernel.org, my latest
> version is 2.4.19 with the sourceforge ACPI patch. Marc Berenschot's
> (see above url) sound patch is not necessary with my present kernel.

Yes therefore I also used "experimental" Kernel from SuSE-FTP because they
include a lot of patches - as for the sound which was not running out of the
box. Problems with the USB-mouse (was hanging from time to time) were also
cured with my latest update.

> Mostly i use kppp, but wvdial works more stably (but is less pretty and
> there's no accounting).

I use mostly kinternet but also wvdial (better for testing).

> At present I'm running the HSF 02110301 tar.gz driver with hsfconfig
> --nvram and no complaints (to speak of). 'uptime' gives me "up 11 days,
> 15:10,  6 users" at the moment, simply because I haven't had to shut
> down the notebook to take it to any client.

I recompiled the sources of the SuSE-Kernel and switched on ACPI (not modules
as it was) and switched off APM as this is not supported by the machine.
After installing the Kernel and (recompiling/) reinstalling the modem drivers
it works now :-). I'm very happy.
The only thing: ACPI seems not to work anymore - but this is a minor issue, I
surely can solve sometimes.

Thanks for the help,
Mathias