[hsflinux] Re: paying

Gregory Wilson gdw1 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 9 14:57:31 EDT 2003

Sorry to be a troll here. I just found this list last week, right before
the release announcement. I wanted to provide my $0.02 as a gentoo user.

I do not program devices. I do not work on the kernel. I don't write
many programs useful for other people. I am a user for the most part. I
write computational biology software (mostly in perl). I help
troubleshoot problems on Sony machines and occasionally in the gentoo
forums. All that to say, I think it is fair for those who are writing
the core pieces of software to ask for contributions. Of course I would
prefer to get things free. And as I am a grad student, $5 would be
better than $15. But am I going to write the drivers? No. Do I have any
clue where to start? No. Do I have the $ to pay for broadband? No.

Yes, I realize that for some of you, your modem is a necessity (lack of
broadband or a university/business connection). I realize that if
everyone started charging for linux pieces (ie.SCO) then the cost of
having linux might approach M$oft.  Maybe I will walk more to work, go
out to dinner less, see fewer movies, and save up some money to give
back to the people who have given me an awesome OS. And hey, according
to their website, you might be able to get a job at linuxant. Then you
will have the $15 for a license. Maybe I can get a PR job there. ;)

Like I said. My $0.02 which many of you may disagree with. You get what
you (don't) pay for.

Greg