[hsflinux] the newest driver does NOT work for kernel 2.4.19-pre10

Tony Earnshaw tonni at billy.demon.nl
Tue Jan 20 01:56:32 EST 2004

tor, 2002-07-11 kl. 02:32 skrev Xiong Quanren:

> And there was a time the hsf driver tried to load tty-ldisc-3 module, then
> I added "alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async" in the file /etc/modules.conf.
> It did not complain that it could not find kernel modules anymore.
> But the baud rate was still 0, and pppd died.

For the record: Compaq Presario 700EA notebook. Red Hat 7.2, kernel.org
2.4.18 fully ACPI and ac97_codec patched, gcc 3.0.4, pppd 2.4.1-3. I
normally use kppp out of gnome, but wvdial and the manual stuff all work
too. I tell the modem to connect with 115200 but connect speed is 57600.

hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02061700-1.

I don't know what the ppp_async module is. I don't use it ...

> > > pppd: Baud rate for /dev/ttySHSF0 is 0; need explicit baud rate.
> > > pppd: Exit.
> >
> > O.k., what software do you use to initiate pppd and manage your
> > connection (like wvdial, kppp, rp3 etc. etc.), and what baud rate have
> > you told it to use?
> I tried rp3 included in Redhat7.2, using 460800bps, 115200bps, etc.
> And tried to run pppd from commandline like "pppd call isp".
> >
> > > I am running redhat7.2, kernel 2.4.19-pre10, pppd version 2.4.1B
> > > Anyone knows what's going on here
> >
> > No idea. But in as much as the reported baud rate for your configured
> > modem is zero, and in as much as pppd is telling you it has to have an
> > explicite baud rate, ...
> Does the hsf driver work for you ? what linux and which version of
> kernel are you running?

Yes, it works for me. But I didn't update to the June 25th driver, since
it's not applicable to my hardware. I used the *tar.gz package.

Presumably you have a reason to want to use the 2.4.19 kernel, I could
think of a couple offhand. However, I shy away from prerelease kernels -
and at the last count there were no ACPI patches for it, which my Compaq
needs.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:		tonni at billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981