This package contains Linux drivers for the
(Rockwell) RipTide Audio/Communication Controller.
These drivers are not fully tested and no longer being actively
developed, because they are based on the OSS interface, which will soon be
obsoleted in favor of ALSA. Linuxant is distributing them as open-source in
the hope that they are useful to others, especially as a starting point for
proper ALSA drivers.
If you have a RipTide HCF modem (127A:4321 or 127A:4331), you need to
install *both* the RIPTIDE and HCF drivers, otherwise the modem will *not*
RipTide HSF modems (127A:4311 or 14F1:4311) require only the HSF driver,
on top of which the RIPTIDE driver can be optionally installed to add audio,
synth, midi, and gameport functionality.
RIPTIDE driver Features:
1. OSS compatible. We are hoping that somebody with more time can turn
this code into a modern ALSA driver someday..
2. Full duplex PCM playback and record.
3. Multiple playback channels (/dev/dsp).
4. Mixer support (/dev/mixer).
5. Supports direct access interface for games such as Quake2.
6. Supports OPL3 synthesis (/dev/sequencer)
7. Supports MPU401 external MIDI (/dev/midi)
8. Supports joystick at port 0x201 with system driver
(joy-analog.o should be loaded)
9. Interoperates with HCF and HSF modem drivers.
The latest version and related information are available
from http://www.linuxant.com on the web.
These drivers should work on most current Linux distributions, based on
the 2.2.x or 2.4.x kernels. On some systems, it might be necessary
to disable the "PnP OS" BIOS option if it exists.
See the INSTALL file for installation instructions.
THIS IS PRELIMINARY SOFTWARE WHICH MAY CONTAIN BUGS THAT COULD
CAUSE CRASHES AND DATA CORRUPTION. THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE
IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE DO NOT PRESENTLY RECOMMEND USING IT ON
CRITICAL SYSTEMS AND ONLY AFTER DOING COMPLETE BACKUPS.
Some features may not be implemented or work as expected.
Bug reports are welcome. (see section "REPORTING PROBLEMS" in INSTALL file)
Most files in this package are released under terms similar to the
BSD license. See the file LICENSE for details.